[mythtv-users] How to record HD and SD versions of sameshow

Barry Jett bjett80 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:38:09 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, John Sturgeon <mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com> wrote:

> John Sturgeon wrote:
>

> > john roberts wrote:
> >
> >> I 2nd the request.
> >>
> >> I haven't had much luck in down-res'ing my HD shows.
> >>
> >> -John
> >>
> >> [snip]

I run both a SD and a HD backend with thoughts of phasing out the SD system, but
I like to compress everything to save space.

My initial attempts at down-res'ing the HD shows gives a glacially
slow 4 fps using
mencoder compared to the SD shows running at 27 fps (under msmpegv2).

Of course, openDivx/mpeg4 compresses at >50 fps on SD , I just like
the ease of moving shows between windows/linux without adding codecs.

IMHO, 4 fps might be a deal breaker on going to a full HD system. (and you know,
down-res'ing HD almost seems immoral !)

Barry