[mythtv-users] HDTV Playback Questions

Mat Kyne matkyne at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:08:02 UTC 2005

I have a few odd problem that I haven not been able to figure out while
watching HDTV. I searched the archive, but nothing seemed to match. So if
these have already been answered, I apoligize.

Incase any of this helps: I am running myth 0.17, using Knoppmyth R5A12, and
using pcHDTV-3000 for OTA HDTV, a Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
and a nVidia FX 5200.

The first problem concerns the way the recorded program shows up on my
screen. When I watch a program recorded on NBC, WB, or CBS, The image
dosen't display properly on the screen. The picture is shifted to the right,
and about 1/3 of the picture is cut off. Just to be clear, I am not talking
about overscan.  For example,  if [-XXX-] is what is supposed to be
displayed on my screen , and [     ] is my screen, I end up with this
displayed: [ -XX]X-
I can use the manual zoom option to move the picture around until it is
watchable, but it is not exactly convienant. I think it might have something
to do with the fact that these stations bordcast in 1080i and because I use
DVI, I can only display 720p.

The second problem involves "noise" in the picture or sound channels
missing.  For example, If I recorded Scrubs, and then immediatly after and
on the same channel, another episode of Scrubs, The first one will come out
fine, but the second one will have Matrix-styled green and grey blocks that
randomly scroll through the screen and eventually making it unwatchable.

For an example of the audio problem, I recorded The Office last night, and
while the picture was fine, half way through the opening credits, the audio
became distorted. If I turned the volume WAY up, I could hear the background
noise, (people typing, and phones ringing, etc) but no dialog.  Then
Immediatly afterwards I recorded Medium flawlessly. I'm stumped. Any help or
inputs would be appreciated.  -Mat