[mythtv-users] How to record HD and SD versions of same show

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Apr 19 23:30:39 UTC 2005

Well, I usually transcode to mp4 to save space which may not be
playable on your mediamvp, but here is my mencoder script which
works quite well at shrinking HDTV down in size without losing
a lot of quality.

#!/bin/bash
rate=${2:-3500}
scale=${3:-scale=1280:-2}
#inter=ildct:ilme
inter=""
copts=autoaspect:$inter:mbd=2:v4mv:naq:cmp=3:subcmp=3
p=3
for pass in 1:turbo 2 ; do
    mencoder $1 -vf pp=ci,$scale -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$rate:$copts:vpass=$pass -oac mp3lame -o out.avi
    done

This script is primarily for 1080i, which it reduces to 720p (the native
resolution of my TV)   However, you can pass options 2 and 3 to set the
bitrate and other scaling and cropping options.

To do it really right I would modify it to drive from mythtranscode so
the commercial cutlists would be incorporated.