[mythtv-users] to the people using dial-up

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Tue Apr 19 20:04:16 UTC 2005

Aaron,

Aaron Aguilar wrote:

>I need a dial-up modem that will work under the 2.6 kernel.  (I'm
>using FC3, big surprise right?)  The modem I have now is only
>supported for the 2.4 kernel.  I would like to find a reasonably
>priced modem if it's possible, and I figured you guys would be the
>ones to ask.  I don't feel like feeding the monster (Comcast) any more
>of my money.

I too was in your situation...I had a PCTel PCT789-based modem which has
great drivers for kernel 2.4, but none for 2.6.  I was really hoping to
find a PCI modem, but in the end couldn't find anyone who could say
"yes, this <insert relatively inexpensive PCI modem here> definitely
works with kernel 2.6".  But some kind soul DID point me at the
following external serial modem which I can confirm works great with
both Linux and Windows:

http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=41&catID=4

and found it available (white-box) at:

http://store.yahoo.com/outletpc/c3235.html

for about $16.00 (unfortunately, they're out of stock as I type this).
But it's available in many places for $30.00 - $35.00.  Hope this helps.