[mythtv-users] Re: VNC launches second mythfrontend

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:28:43 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix at lloydnet.org> wrote:

> Allan Risk wrote:
>
> > I tried this method first as I thought this was a nicer way to deal with
> > it.
> >
> > It worked, but backwards.
> > It appears that as the vncservice starts the first mythfrontend.
> > Then when the desired mythfrontend should get started it can't because
> > the script sees it as already running.
> >
> > It is nice to see I'm not alone on this though.
> > I prefer to keep the vnc service on.
> > I'll look into the other solution about the windows manager. I'll have
> > to do more reading about that and educate myself.
>
> probably the best (esp if you want to continue using the same window
> manager / desktop environment) would be to add into the script a check
> that would see (based on printenv output) whether you were logging in at
> the console or remotely and start mythfrontend only on local connections
>
> -g-

I solved this problem on my MythTV machine (which I don't have access to
right now). If memory serves, I modified my VNC startup script to export a
variable (I think I called it VNCSERVER). Then I modified my mythtv startup
script to check for the VNCSERVER variable.
 Interestingly enough, I think there's a couple of other programs that you
don't want to start under VNC. I don't remember. I'll e-mail with scripts
tonight when I'm at my machine. But it's definitely fixable and now my VNC
works perfectly. I program on the MythTV box (from a XP laptop) while my
wife watches her commercial free TV. All on a $75 Celeron!
 --
Christopher David Petersen