[mythtv-users] Re: HDTV performance in 0.18

Preet Khalsa preet at ecbit.com
Tue Apr 19 14:27:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-19-04 at 11:07 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 11:27:02PM -0400, Preet Khalsa wrote:

> > > Depends on the distribution, for FC3 they are tuned for pentium4.
> >
> > Does this mean I should compile Myth for the x86_64 (AMD64) instead of
> > just using the binaries?  (yes I did get the x86_664 version)
>
> Oh no, sorry. The x86_64 packages are of course not optimized for
> pentium4, gcc would bail out if told so. Here are the typical
> optimization flags for x86 archs and compatibles on FC3 packages:

<snip>

> You can rebuild the packages with different optflags, if you like, to
> see whether there is any difference. Note that on x86_64 MMX in mythtv
> does not compile, so you will see a considerable performance drop wrt
> i386. Perhaps trying the i386 packages would not be a bad idea.

That is an interesting idea.  Maybe that is the solution.  I have been
trying to avoid i386 on this machine but had to relent for OpenOffice
and Firefox.  My only question about this is how the nvidia drivers
relate.  I have the x86_64 version of the drivers and I wonder how Myth
can handle that.  Particularly for XvMC.

Thanks Axel!