[mythtv-users] Toshiba DVI input at 1080i with a nvidia 5200

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 14:13:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:46:44AM -0400, Ianic Brisson wrote:
> >> I'm trying to get the DVI input on my Toshiba 42HDX82 to work at
> >> 1080i (or 540p) with my nvidia FX5200, but the best I get is a
> >> rolling screen. I've tried everything from PowerStrip to
> >> tinckering with the modelines to get various refresh rates bot to
> >> no avail. It works in 480p and 720p (with an ugly upconversion to
> >> 1080i). I've read that Toshiba and/or nvidia doesn't work through
> >> DVI in 1080i but couldn't confirm.
> >>
> >> If anybody's got an angle that could help me out on this, it
> >> would be appreciated. My MythTV Box is just waiting for this last
> >> step to get rolling.

I have the Toshiba 42H83 (next year's model) working at 960x540p with
DVI:

	Section "Monitor"
		Identifier      "Toshiba 42H83"
		DisplaySize     93 52
		HorizSync       31-46
		VertRefresh     59-61
		Mode "540p"
			DotClock	40.86
			HTimings	960 992 1144 1176
			VTimings	540 551 557 568
			Flags	   "+HSync" "+VSync"
		EndMode
	EndSection

The video card is a Chaintech SH5200-DVI.

Unfortunately, there is overscan that I am unable to correct. With
overscan, my effective resolution is decreased to 856x480+56+32.

I've tried the Audio Authority 9A60; that brought me up to about
952x504+0+20, but every time I switched the TV to that component
input, the convergence was completely reset and I'd have to fix it up
again. Upon switching away from those component inputs, I'd have to
again fix up the convergence.

The extra resolution was not worth the hassle of resetting the
convergence every time and having more parts to deal with, so I went
back to the DVI.

--Rob