[mythtv-users] Sounds woes, FC3 Install using Jarod's Guide

Timothy G. Schaefer tim_lists at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 02:21:41 UTC 2005

At 09:51 PM 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>I'm currently stuck at the sound part of Jarod's guide. I think it's a
>simple problem, but here it is. I can't seem to get sound from the
>computer. I think it has something to do with the settings you have to
>turn on and off in Kmix. I seem to remember having to do something to
>the IEC settings in my old FC2 install. I'm currently using the
>Chaintech board with nvidia sound. I was wondering if someone with
>this same sound setup could let me know what settings they have
>checked/unchecked in kmix so that I can get past this step with
>alittle more ease. I've tried every combination I can think of, and
>still the test sound doesn't make sound. I know it's playing, because
>I get no error, but no sound comes from the speakers. Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Jon Kunze

No offense intended but let's rattle of the usual suspects. You did suggest
it may be simple...

*Turn on Main and PCM channels, you should see a bright green dot above
each slider in kmix.
*Drag volume sliders up on both PCM and Main/Master (whatever it's called)
in kmix
*Check cables (in the right spot, not mic, line out, etc...)
*Speakers on? Volume up?

Did the auto soundcard configuration utility report back anything? What
about during FC install? At some point you should have got a found XXX
soundcard. I think that was during the post-install setup where you create
the first non-root user, setup NTP, etc...

Hopefully this will do it.

-Tim