[mythtv-users] HDTV performance in 0.18

David Wood obsidian at panix.com
Mon Apr 18 19:58:31 UTC 2005

Does anyone find it strange to not have enough horsepower to render HDTV
in 0.18 on an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB of RAM? (Caveat: this is rendering
to 800x600 24-bit S-Video on an fx5200.) XV and OpenGL work, renderaccel
is true, AGP functional, and by the way, xine can play HDTV with Xv no
problem.

I'm using libmpeg2 and suid/realtime, and the system can just _barely_
handle it without deinterlacing. It's pegged at 95% CPU, and still drops
occasional frames. If I turn on deinterlacing, then it's real bad,
dropping frames every few seconds.

As before, toggling libmpeg, realtime, and opengl appear to have zero
effect on performance, despite log output from the frontend suggesting
they're working.

I keep finding references to people who are doing HDTV with 2100's and
2400's and so forth. I wonder what the difference is - rendering to a
different screen resolution or color depth perhaps?

Saving grace is that in 0.18 XvMC finally works, almost. I still get ugly
flicker and stutter from the OSD, and so far am averaging about 1
hard-lock (reboot required) per day... A major improvement.