[mythtv-users] rpms for 0.18 and CVS rpms (was: 0.18's available)

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 01:47:15 UTC 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 04:08:24PM -0400, Donavan
> Stanley wrote:
> > On 4/16/05, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > My major concern from watching the commits list
> was the flurry of activity
> > > the week or two running up to the release.  It
> seems to happen everytime and
> > > while I don't want to dis the devs and
> contributers, it does make it a
> > > little dangerous to upgrade to the latest
> release as soon as it is released.
> >
> > Both this message, and Brads indicate a lack of
> understanding of both
> > the MythTV code and it's development/release
> procedures.  Just a
> > thought, but if you're not part of the process
> don't try to lead it.
>
> I think I do understand the process, and it is
> different from the
> process many people expect, that's all.   This
> doesn't mean it's wrong,
> nor is it a demand to change it.   Rather, it's
> hopefully a productive
> effort to produce the fewest user problems, which is
> good for
> everybody.
>
> It is never productive to tell people they don't
> understand a process and to
> go away.  That just insults them to no benefit of
> anybody.
>
> I read the myth-dev list and the commits list, I
> know what was on it.
> Tell me what I've said that is incorrect, instead of
> just trying to be
> insulting, please.

This is a users forum, if you want to close it down
then do so, but if you don't then expect any question
or comment like when will it be ported to win 3.11.  I
am a long time linux user and am so tired of RTFM and
other responses that don't give an answer and curtly
say that the questioner has "no clue, search the
archives".  If you know the answer then be polite and
give the answer and nudge the archives, if you don't,
shut the hell up.  If you are a developer and someone
asks a stupid question or a comment that you don't
like then either answer with grace or again shut up.
If you want to act like 'it's my ball and I'll go
home' then do so.  As a developer that is your right,
I like myth, but if people are intimidated to make
comments or ask questions then this list is a waste of
bandwidth.  Grow up, or at least learn some social
skills.  I doubt that many of the rude, curt responses
I've seen would have happened if the people were in
the same room.