[mythtv-users] nuvexport to DVD distorts aspect ratio

gary dawes garydawes at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 09:07:31 UTC 2005

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>--===============1944901111==
>
>On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 09:22:38PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
>

>>>Do I need to configure nuvexport in some way to get 16:9 output files?
>>>

>>I believe that Gavin stuck with 4:3 for the recent changes with
>>nuvexport because we know of no way in linux to make an anamorphic DVD.
>> Should probably add some kind of option to choose aspect ratio,
>>though, since there are a fair amount of people who actually run Windows
>>for their personal machines.
>>

>Ok.. I don't understand all the issues involved obviously as I didn't
>quite understand your answer! Especially the Windows part.
>
>What about cropping the image to 4:3 first? I'm trying to export some
>shows for my parents who only have a 4:3 TV anyway. Cropped would be
>better than stretched which is what I've given them so far.
>
>.. with the odd exception of that one show which appeared to be
>letterboxed instead.
>
>Hamish

I found that I had the same problem. Playing on a PC in a window, or on
a 4:3 tv caused the display to be squashed up.

All my recordings are in 16:9 format, and I forced ffmpeg to export as
16:9  by adding the option *-aspect 1.7777* in line 142 of dvd.pm in
nuvexport/export/ffmpeg/dvd.pm

It does not seem to have any adverse affects, at least I haven't come
across any and all my dvds seem to be fine.

regards

Gary