[mythtv-users] XvMC on a nVidia MX440

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Fri Apr 15 22:25:59 UTC 2005

Will Dormann wrote:

> Jim Kusznir wrote:
>
>> I've seen a lot of traffic in the last few days about the joys of XvMC
>> and been seeing loades in excess of 2.4 on my myth system, so I'm
>> attempting to reinvestagate using it.
>

> Joys?   Well, it surely gives decreased CPU usage, but...
> - Video playback is actually *more* sensitive to system load due to
> less buffers.
> - The OSD will be in black and white.

Oh, didn't know that....

Is any of this supposed to be improved in 0.18?

>> So...Is the above paragraph correct?  Does anyone have any suggestions
>> as to how to fix this?  I'm a bit hesitant to do much tinkering without
>> prior knowledge, as this is my production box and its getting pretty
>> heavy use (from family members -- I practically have to get up in the
>> middle of the night to get time on it).
>

> I had pretty good luck with the nvidia 7174 drivers, MythTV CVS (from
> april 11), and the xv-xvmc merge patch v7.
>
> But if your system is working with XV, *why* are you looking to switch
> to XvMC?

I just turned on Bob deinterlacing, and my CPU load went up to 2.5
average.  I think I noticed very minor stutter that wasn't there before,
although I definately notice the improvement in picture quality.

>From what I've been reading on the list, XvMC is supposed to be the
"best" / "most optimized" way to output video.  From what I've gleaned
from the list, its a way of using the video card's hardware and
offloading some processing from the system CPU.

Am I not correct?