[mythtv-users] Myth, IRBlaster, FC3 and a single instance of LIRC?

Claude Boucher bouchecl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:10:05 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any luck with the "Controlling a digital cable/satellite
box using Fedora, MythTV, an IR Blaster and one instance of LIRC". howto
(available at http://www.lircsetup.com/lirc/blaster/index.php)?

I'm having a hard time replicating such a setup on a myth system running
an FC3 installation (done with the most recent version of Jarod Wilson's
bible) and I've kept it updated with apt using the atrpms.net (kernel
2.6.10_770; lirc 0.70; ivtv 0.32q) repository.

There is nothing really exotic in my box (AMD Sempron3000+; Asus
A7N8X-VM/400 Mobo with on-board audio and LAN; Hauppauge PVR250 retail
with grey and black remote; and the pre-built IRBlaster available at
http://www.irblaster.info, Asus-branded FX5200 AGP card) and my system
works almost without a glitch under MythTV 0.17.

So, I followed the howtos to the letter. After doing all the typing, and
after rebooting the system, the only thing I get is a cryptic message:

irsend: could not connect to socket

I've tried setting my only com port to IRQ 3 / 0x02F8 / ttyS1  and IRQ 4
/ 0x03F8 / ttyS0 in the BIOS (with subsequent modifications to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and /etc/modprobe.conf) with no success.

Then, I've noticed Jarod's update to his howto
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#lirc) where he applies a diff to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and modifies /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules to force
the preloading of some devices, including the infrared drivers. I
remember applying this diff. Could it be a factor in my own failure?

So, before switching to the methods involving compiling two instances of
LIRC (I have absolutely no experience with compiling stuff; I didn't
even installed the dev tools...), I'd like to know if anyone had success
with the "one instance of LIRC method".

Thanks for your advice,

Claude