[mythtv-users] XvMC on a nVidia MX440

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Fri Apr 15 13:41:54 UTC 2005

Jim Kusznir wrote:
> I've seen a lot of traffic in the last few days about the joys of XvMC
> and been seeing loades in excess of 2.4 on my myth system, so I'm
> attempting to reinvestagate using it.

Joys?   Well, it surely gives decreased CPU usage, but...
- Video playback is actually *more* sensitive to system load due to less
buffers.
- The OSD will be in black and white.

> So...Is the above paragraph correct?  Does anyone have any suggestions
> as to how to fix this?  I'm a bit hesitant to do much tinkering without
> prior knowledge, as this is my production box and its getting pretty
> heavy use (from family members -- I practically have to get up in the
> middle of the night to get time on it).

I had pretty good luck with the nvidia 7174 drivers, MythTV CVS (from
april 11), and the xv-xvmc merge patch v7.

But if your system is working with XV, *why* are you looking to switch
to XvMC?

-WD