[mythtv-users] HD playback using on-board nVidia

Peter Judge peter at judge.co.za
Thu Apr 14 21:35:07 UTC 2005

---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD playback using on-board nVidia
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Howard Cokl <hojoloco at yahoo.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

>I have a combined back/front using an MSI K7N2 mobo
>with an athlon 2700+, 512MB of ram, using atrpms .17
>and nvidia 7174, onboard geforce4 mx - out VGA to
>AA9a60, and a pcHDTV 3K.  I can watch live TV, don't
>recall the load off the top of my head.  I'm no expert

That's good news. One of the configs in Jarod's guide is a 2500+ (I think), but that's got an AGP video card.

>but I would look at first making an HD recording and
>trying to watch that and narrow your problem down that
>way,

Makes sense. I'm using Brad Templeton's TvWish and that records tons of stuff (which brings transcoding and commflagging along), and I'm thinking that I got lucky last night - that there was some sort of a lull - with the load on my machine. I'll try a (better) comparitive test once there's a load on the machine.

> Also may want to look at the frontned settings,
>things like openGL (I'm using), xvmc (not using).  I
>had to do some linking in order to get glx to load in
>X.  grep -i glx /var/log/Xorg.0.log and look for and
>nvidia EE.

I've never seen that suggestion before here. I get glxgears to work without doing anything special.  Would that invalidate your suggestion about glx?

Regards,
Peter