[mythtv-users] HD playback using on-board nVidia

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:20:39 UTC 2005

> When I try to watch HD using Myth, I get skippy picture (i.e. it seems to jump/skip over certain frames), although otherwise the picture seems good, and no sound. Well, every now and then I get sound, but it's basically just a crackle every couple of minutes. CPU is way up when I do this (can't remember exactly at what level now, but high, like 80 or 90 % CPU).
>
> In both cases Mythbackend was running, although I will say that there wasn't a lot going on when I did my mplayer test, and when I tested through Myth there was a lot of activity (mythtranscode was running vigourously).

It might be better to actually test both under the same
circumstances... i.e. not having mythtranscode running while testing.
Mythtranscode is "niced" but likely going to still steal CPU at times,
hence causing stuttering.

Have you investigated XvMc?  This might help offload some of the
processing.  I believe the stock .17 RPMs have bugg XvMc, but rumor
has it that the .17 CVS RPMs are much better... and the upcoming .18
as well.

Dave