[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Apr 14 16:58:11 UTC 2005

> Ideally I would like to see all 3 options eventually. Option 1 is nice
> if you just want to get an entire overview of recommended shows. Option
> 2 is what I originally had in mind, but Option 3 seems to make a lot of
> sense too. Either option 2 or 3 would be a great start.
>
> The mythrecommend script at this point does not take in to account
> genre, since the user base is still pretty small, it makes doing any
> really fancy recommendations pretty useless at this point.
>
> However the script simply grabs the recommendations from the server and
> inserts them in to the local database, so all it takes is a couple joins
> and you can get the genre from the local program table and narrow it
> down that way if you want.
>
> Personally I wouldn't want it to recommend shows JUST in the same genre,
> but rather any shows that are popular and/or very highly rated among its
> viewers. (which is currently does) Other options would be to show a
> "genre" column in the "recommend shows program finder" or have an option
> to limit recommendations by genre only.

It would be nice to have a system like the Tivo that learned and
recommended shows based on the type of shows you watched. My Tivo would
record a lot of scifi and cooking shows just based on what I manually
schedule to record. That way you have an option of recording based on
your tastes and not rely on other people. Maybe keep stats on the genre
and actors, key words in the titles and descriptions and rank based on
the highest hits.

- James