[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 150 or 250

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Wed Apr 13 21:48:30 UTC 2005

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>     It really boils down to which chip acts as the logic glue for the
> PCI bus.  The -150 uses the well-documented cx25840 as the PCI bus
> arbitrator, with the cx23416 tacked on the general-purpose I/O pins.
> The blackbird uses them in the other order... the 23416 is the PCI
> interface and the capture chip is glued on as a general-purpose I/O to it.
> I think that's more or less correct...

Okay :) I have 2 PVR150s, so I should know this. You probably don't
really care, but...

The cx23416 provides the PCI interface on the -150. In this way, it's
the same as the PVR-250. The cx25840 is a "Audio / Video format
decoder". This does the A->D, VBI, sync and scaling magic.

On the blackbird 250 design, it goes PCI -> CX88xxx -> cx23416 as you
say, on the GPIO pins. The CX88xxx is also used as the A->D, etc.

> I'd still like to see a
> resolution comparison.  My -250's crap out at about 400 lines, so
> capturing over about 540x480 is pointless.
I'm afraid I can't easily do that, since it would mean pulling the card
from the Myth box, and the boss would get annoyed. :)

Cheers,

Allan.