[mythtv-users] SP13000 + Haupauge PVR 500

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:22:27 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Krist van Besien <krist.vanbesien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post, so please bear with me if it is full of
> questions with obvious answers...

Welcome to the list.

> I want to build me a new box that will have to server as PVR, and as
> media server (host my music collection in other words). I was thinking
> of buying this one:
>
> http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/T2e_SP13000.htm

Looks like some other folks have already responded about this. I don't
know much about them, as I use a regular old Dell P4 1.8Ghz as my
combined Backend/Frontend.

> And add a haupauge PVR 500 card to it. Then I'd add linux and mythtv

I started off a few months ago with a single PVR250. I then added a
second with a remote, and just this week installed a PVR500, for a
total of four tuners. I initially had some trouble with the 500, but
after help from folks on the list, Jarod's guide, upgrading my BIOS,
and playing musical chairs with the PCI slots, I have them all working
together now.

> I've searched the archives of this list, and thus got the impression
> this would work.
> First question:  Am I correct?
>
> What I basically would need is how to get the CN400 northbridge on the
> motherboard working, and how to get the PVR 500 working. In mails I
> found in the archive of this list a "guide" was mentioned on how to
> get the PVR 500 working. I could not find an other reference to this.

You're probably thinking of Jarod's guide, which has been very helpful
to me and many others. You can find it at http://www.wilsonet.com/. It
can take you from start to finish on a MythTV project, and he recently
added PVR150/500 instructions.

> Thus:
> Second question: What's involved in getting the PVR 500 working. Are
> the results good?

As I mentioned above, it took me a few hours (over the course of a few
days) to get mine working properly, but the results are just as good
as with the PVR250s. I have heard of some folks still having issues
with the D492 revision of the card, mine is a D592. You might want to
steer clear of the D492 if possible, just in case...

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Krist

You're welcome.

-- Garry