[mythtv-users] Re: recording HD content

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Apr 13 00:27:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 16:16 -0700, John Sturgeon wrote:
> Ian Forde wrote:

> >>Thanks for the tip Brad. I'm looking into firewire but on my other posts,
> >>the guy told me that it may soon be encrypted too. :(
> >>

> >First of all, the "though they might drop to SD on the firewire" is FUD.
> >If it's the HD version of NBC, they're not allowed to transcode it down,
> >according to the FCC.
> >
> >	-I
> >

> ???  What have you been reading?  The Broadcast Flag (when enabled) will
> not only allow them to transcode it down, it will force them to
> transcode it.  Once the broadcast flag takes effect, the hardware
> manufacturers are going to only be able to output (digitally) SD
> quality.  Analog is a different matter, obviously.  That's what all the
> 'Fight the broadcast flag' stink has been about.

<sigh>...
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/110105?
search_string=Ian%20firewire%20caputo;#110105

And the specific FCC regulation we were talking about is available at
http://makunu.com/browse/show/37812

Besides, the broadcast flag wasn't part of the topic (in my mind, at
least) until you brought it up...

	-I