[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Risto Treksler risto at elkhornbanff.ca
Tue Apr 12 17:31:17 UTC 2005

Ramon Redondo <malinon at gmail.com> said:

> However, if we were able to fingerprint the start and end of each show
> segment, then we don't care how long the comemrcial breaks are, or
> what the actual commercials were.  .  We could just look for those
> fingerprints and mark everything between the end of the previous
> segment and beginning of the next as a commercial.

*tongue firmly in cheek*

luckily, we already know exactly what preceeds and follows every commercial
- a blank frame

the obvious problems with fingerprinting is that
- it can't work for newly aired shows and
- it relies on someone not poisoning the database
  (much like p2p networks have been poisoned with fakes)
- it couldn't hope to cover nearly enough shows to be useful
  (or am i being naive)