[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:01:34 UTC 2005

> The only issue I can really see here comes that this is required that
> people have to upload their verified commercials.  I can forsee that
> there are many people who would rather be lazy and download this data
> than upload their own.  There would have to be some sort of system to
> enforce that everyone puts in their own share of data.  Perhaps if you
> use this feature, you are required to hand verify your own results for
> some pre defined percentage of the shows, and report those.

I see what you are saying... and just based soley on my experience
using musicbrainz, it'll upload fingerprints for the songs that you
verify are correct.  However, I don't think it'd be a problem if 10%
of the community were the ones editing shows.  I for sure would not
edit every show I record, but I'd be more than happy to edit the ones
I care about the most.  That's the philosophy behind musicbrainz as
well: self-moderation of content you are familiar with and care about.

So if a majority of people just wanted their mythcommflag job to go
out and see what others have submitted, then that'd be ok at least by
my standards.  The theory is that it'll only help if people use it.
If no one manually checks the commflag and uploads their
"fingerprint", then mythcommflag will work just as well as it did
before.  These results will only _help_ mythcommflag by boosting it's
algorithm with human verified data that only gets "smarter" the more
people verify and upload data.

> This also brings up the point that of some shows won't have very much
> data - say for example a show local only to your area.  This predefined
> percentage should take a look at what shows have the most data being
> reported, and then take a look at what shows you record.

Yea, but I don't think of it that way.  Musicbrainz has the same
problem.  Lets say you rip a CD of a band that happens to be a local
band no one knows and only has 10 CDs in existence.  You can
accurately identify them (if you want), but you aren't going to get
probably a single other person to do so to strengthen the fingerprint
and data.

However, if you rip a CD from the most popular band in the world, you
can guarentee hundreds of others will probably do the same and it'll
make the data even better and "smarter" because there's so much more
data to verify against and make a proper comparison.

Also, think about the variables that musicbrainz deals with (320Kbps
MP3 vs 64Kbps MP3 vs radio recording vs live vs acoustic vs covers..
etc... etc...).  Same goes for TV.  You have HDTV vs Cable vs OTA vs
crappy cable (like me).... etc etc.  So, if 10% of the myth community
records "Law & Order" and verifies the commercial, uploads their
fingerprints, then you have a variety of information that can be
compiled to make it smarter because of more data.

Who cares if 2 people recorded "Bob's Fishing Show" on some local
public channel?   But what if 500 people record "Lost"?  See the
difference?

> If your shows
> being recorded don't have very much data, you would be required to
> submit data for your shows.
>
> What do people think of this?

I think requiring people to do anything is the wrong approach.  I
think this should definitly be an opt-in type of deal.  If you want
to... go for it, if you don't... don't.  But just know that if it's a
more popular show, that you might want to help out because in the end
you'll benefit as well.  :)

Matt