[mythtv-users] gave up on the Epia

Asher Schaffer freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:08:49 UTC 2005

I agree it isn't the easiest thing to get working.  The first time I
did it, it took 4 days to get working, a lot of that was compile time
however.  The second time I did it (after I hosed one of the
partitions, entirely my fault), it only took about a day and a half,
this time almost only compile time, minimal troubleshooting.

There is the issue of getting everything just right, I'm running on an
M10k.  It shouldn't be that bad, I use the machine for myth, to serve
up a few webpages, and for bit torrent.  I actually have azureus
running on that machine, it is a huge memory hog, but the machine
still records and plays just fine.

AFAIK, there is no way you are going to be running on an EPIA without
building a kernel on your own, so having to compile in support for
temp monitoring and speed changes shouldn't be a big addition.

Maybe the EPIA isn't for the faint of heart, it does need HW decoding
inorder for it to be usable.  If you are building a HTPC, you should
get everything working before it is rolled out in production though,
even if it has more then enough power and you can get away with it,
otherwise you will find yourself tinkering with a production box and
end up frustrated cause you can't watch your shows.

--
Asher