[mythtv-users] Video card importance for HD playback

Andy Alsup aalsup at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 06:34:01 UTC 2005

I just put in my order for an Athlon64 3500+  Abit AV8 mobo  w/ 1G pc3200.

The box is going to be a HD frontend/backend with 2 Air2pc cards, and
maybe firewire from Comcast.

In an effort to stay on budget, the rest of the hardware will come
from stuff lying around the house. Which leads to my question:

I have a Radeon 7000 (AGP 2x / 64 MB) that is not being used.  I also
have a Radeon 9550 (AGP 8x / 128 MB) thats in my main workstation.  Is
it worth the trouble of reconfiguring my workstation with the 7000 so
I can have the 9550 in the myth box?

>From what I've read, the display card isn't that important unless XvMC
is used, which I understand might be supported by the Radeon hardware,
but not supported by the available drivers.  At any rate, I'm planning
on doing straight software HD decoding -- and I expect a 64/3500+
should do fine with that.

Does it make a difference which card I use?  Should I get a different card?