[mythtv-users] Samba or NFS?

Graham Dunn graham.dunn at leitch.com
Sat Apr 9 23:29:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:03:35AM +0100, David Morrison wrote:

> Which would be best from a performance viewpoint to stream MythVideo
> to my remote frontend?
> I'm currently using Samba and it's working OK over my 802.11g network,
> but only OK. I've never used NFS before and wondered if this was the
> prefered networking method between two Linux PCs?

The problem here isn't so much the samba/nfs decision as the wireless.
In my experience, nfs handles the packet loss you see in wireless
connections much more poorly than SMB does.

If you had a wired connection between then two machines, I'd say go for
NFS, but I think you'd see poor performance and strange lockup issues
with a wireless connection...

Graham