[mythtv-users] Possible OT: Newest nvidia drivers and interlaced modes

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 23:04:38 UTC 2005

Stephen Boddy wrote:

>I wouldn't leave this turned off though, especially if you use the ogl output
>with xine or mplayer, or you may see tearing. The point with the sync is that
>it only updates the display in the vertical blank period. 1500 fps isn't of
>any practical use, apart from bragging rights.

That's good to know.  Before moving to the latest, I couldn't run
glxgears at all, and I just wanted to make sure the hardware and drivers
were working.

>>Still haven't figured out the "split screen" effect yet.  It may be time
>>for a full reinstall (yet) again.  Sigh.
>>

>Do you mean one desktop split over two separate displays? Not that I can help,
>as I only have one display at a time.

No.  I have a 1920x1080i timing mode from Jarrod that I was using with
so-so results before the upgrade.  Now, I still have a 1080i mode, but
what is supposed to be on the left of the screen is on the right, and
vice versa.  I'll try to illustrate in text:

What I should see:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

What I do see:

NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM

The _'s indicate a vertical white bar.  Actually, I am probably missing
about the N and M portions as well from overscan.  My set can adjust it,
but it really warps the screen adjusting too much out this way.

This is the modeline:

ModeLine     "1760x960"  74.5 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126
-hsync -vsync interlace

It is fed through an AudioAuthority transcoder to the component inputs
on my Samsung widescreen.

Hope that explains the problem better.

Jeff.