[mythtv-users] slightly off topic universial remote

Kenneth Hong kenneth_hong at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:06:35 UTC 2005

>Might want to read this:
>
>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php
>
>Specifically covers the RS 15-2116, but applies to just about any OneForAll
>universal remote.

After reading through Jarod's guide on universal remotes I got a $30
URC-8910 from Amazon, which is made by the same manufacturer as the RS
15-2116.  Then I bought a cable to connect the remote to the parallel port
of my Windows PC (sorry).  Then downloaded the JP1 software to program the
remote.

After trying other more expensive and non-JP1 remotes, the URC-8910 is the
best solution I've found.  With some clever setup, it's even wife-friendly.
She's getting a full demo tonight.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bottom line, get a good JP1 remote (RS 15-2116's are getting are to find),
but you can find other similar models out there.  It's cheap and with the
JP1 software relatively easy to program from your PC.

Start here if you want to learn more about JP1:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

Other Resources:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/