[mythtv-users] How to automatically change channel after recording?

makalu at ansae.com makalu at ansae.com
Fri Apr 8 19:57:42 UTC 2005

I've observed that after a decoder card is used to record a program, when
you grab the card for live tv, it's still tuned to the channel that was
recorded. Ordinarily that's not a problem, but sometimes I record on
channels with inappropriate content for the kids ;). So I'm trying to find
an easy way to automatically change the channel after recording.

One method that works is to just schedule a second, dummy, recording to run
after the first on an "acceptable" channel. I could even set up a manual
timer so it only records for a minute, and put the recording in a junk
group. That accomplishes the goal of changing the channel, but obviously
it's tedious to set this up. (And it may not work if there is more than one
decoder card and the other card is used for the dummy recording.)

Another approach would be to define a custom post-recording job that would
call my LIRC channel-changing script. However, mythtv would still
think the decoder is still tuned to the old channel. So perhaps I could fix
this by also adding a sql script to update the mythtv database. Anyone know
where this info is kept in the db? I presume there is a table with input
connection info where the current known channel for each input connection
would be kept.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.