[mythtv-users] Marriage of Email List and Forum, Can't we all just get along!!

Mario L superm1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:56:46 UTC 2005

> And on a forum, you have to read all the names of those threads you have
> no interest in. With a decent mail client setup correctly you never see
> the threads you dont want to read, they are deleted. On a forum, those
> posts are always there, and you have to wade thru them when searching
> for anything. One more reason why not to duplicate work and make people
> look in multiple places to gain access to this mailing list (ie sign up
> at forum, then you also have to sign up at the mailing list as well.)
> And why do you want to have to add more work to what you have to do when
> you come online? You already check your mail, and can have filters
> setup to flag any threads youd be interested in; why add on having to
> visit a forum, and then wade thru the new posts of the day to see if any
> of them are of interest to you?
>
> Do people not know how to use a mail client? Do people not want the
> posts in real time? Do people not understand that a mailing list is
> much more effecient than a forum?
>
> He is just looking at keeping the mailing list going here while finding a
way for people who don't like mailing lists satisfied too. If you don't like
using a forum you wouldn't have to, you could just keep your mail client
going as is - this wouldn't affect you. Other people do prefer to not have
to set filters on their mail clients, when they can just glance across a
topic at a forum and decide to read or not to read.

Now what I think would have been most ideal is if you could easily respond
right at gossamer threads (or for that matter migrating to an archiving
solution that allows responses like that). That would mean those who don't
want to have to worry about getting tons of myth mail can just search (for
some a new concept) the archives and respond right at the archive and just
check back when they wanted to, without ever having to be subscribed to the
mailing list getting all of the myth mail.