[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 8 03:15:02 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Dependency hell is not an issue with apt/yum/smart package managers.

hmm, i've found it to be worse when using apt/yum ... especially when i
used apt-rpm on FC1 ...

>>so is there any performance gain / other reason to separate out frontend
>>and backend?
>
> Performance, noise and heat are the main reasons. Put your backend with lots
> of drives somewhere it can be hot and loud, and do commercial-cutting without
> impacting playback performance on the frontend (really only an issue if your
> frontend has a cpu just barely able to keep up).

ahh ... didn't think of the noise issue ... really need to get a bigger
case for my file server (it's a Dell Optimon case w/ room for only 2
drives), then maybe i can move them over ... how much "beef" does a
backend need to be decent?  right now, my front and back-end machine is
a P4 1.6GHz with 768MB RAM (don't recall offhand FSB speeds or anything
... it was a Dell Dimension 4400, but the mobo's been upgraded quite a
bit since then) ...

i think once i redo my HTPC box (i'm leaning towards gentoo), i'll set
it up this way, depending on feedback as far as what a specs backend
should need ... (admittedly, i haven't read on the website if there's
info on this, so don't flame me for not doing that yet ... i'm going to
as soon as i put my son to bed :P)

-g-