[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: USA may change Daylight Savings Time

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Apr 8 01:40:00 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 11:54 am, Ramon Redondo wrote:
> I wonder how much software this would break.  QT's recent glitch would
> be trivial compared to this:
>
> --
>
> >From http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html
>
> Lawmakers crafting energy legislation approved an amendment Wednesday
> to extend daylight-saving time by two months, having it start on the
> first Sunday in March and end on the last Sunday in November.
> --
>
> Anyone have any idea if this has been tried before?
>
> This probably wouldn't be too big a deal in the Linux world, since
> patches would come out fairly quickly.  But closed-source and
> especially older systems could get nailed by this.

On Unix/Linux, it litterally would be as simple as editing the source
zonetab for the US, setting an ending date for the the current rule,
starting a new rule with  the new dates.  Then performing a ZIC command to
compile the rule file into a binary and ship the binary around as a file.
Someone familiar with the
file format could probably do it in 30 minutes or less.

Brian