[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 8 00:55:00 UTC 2005

Howard Cokl wrote:
> I'm a slack guy, have been since about 1998.

yup, i have been since ... well, i'm not sure which version i started
with ... either slackware 6 or 7 ...

> I have
> gotten myth working on slackware (mythtv 0.16 and
> slack 9.1) and have tried getting mythtv 0.17 working
> with 10.1, 10, and 9.1 using 2.6.11, currently have it
> running on slack 9.1, 2.6.11.6.

hmm, i still haven't gotten 2.6.x to work ... really annoying me ... i
get no input devices and no network (probably a lot of other things
don't work, but i can't tell, since i can't ssh in or login at the
console! :P)

> But, and it hurts me
> to say this, I did install FC3 according to Jarod's
> guide and it did work and the performance was better.

wow, that really surprises me ... esp with both on a 2.6 kernel ...

> Don't know why but I plan on finding out since I don't
> like rpm based systems and dependency checking, <rant>
> sorry you can't rpm -e sendmail because it is depended
> on by a bunch of other crap that we decided to install
> for you ... </rant>.

hehehe ... exactly!!

> Anyway there is some guy
> maintaining a slackware mythtv package, haven't tried
> it, but here it is http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=6144

all the versions of myth i've installed (i think i started 2 or 3
releases ago) have been by hand and i definitely prefer it ... call it
the over-anal-ness of a network admin :P

thx for the info!
-g-