[mythtv-users] cablecard

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 7 20:14:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:11:46PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> There is very little in that document about a PVR system or hard-disk
> recording (In fact, nothing), it is all concerned with decoding, as in
> a Set-Top Box. If the tunercard can contain the OpenCable-required
> items (Which is quite possible) then the host system will be free to
> run any software it pleases, especially considering that it will be
> the tunercard that will be enforcing the protections etc.
>
> And if MS can do it without breaking the specs, why can't we?

Likely because MS is big enough, and closed enough, to get permission
to do it in software.  We, clearly, cannot.

> > Your Right To Tape Is In Danger, folks; no joke.  Go do something about
> > it.
>
> It certainly will be if the content providers misuse their "Copy
> Protection" flagging and mark every program as "High Value".

Face it: it will be, regardless.  DTV will likely kill Myth, unless
Congress steps in and spanks the FCC

> > If 100,000 people call US Senators this month, and complain politely
> > about the proper thing in the proper fashion, Something Will Happen.
>
> That, and/or move up to the Great White North with me. DMCA doesn't
> apply here. :)

Two words: Remote Backend.

:-)

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me