[mythtv-users] cablecard

David Wood obsidian at panix.com
Thu Apr 7 19:35:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> As others have said, it is not just the money that is an issue.  They
> have no desire to issue a license to open source projects as this
> would compromise the very encryption (whether it would or not is
> debatable, but they certainly would believe it would).
>
> Even if $100,000 were a drop in the bucket (and I wish I was in that
> position), that is not the major stumbling block.  They WILL NOT issue
> a license to myth type projects.

There is this bizarre false sense of security with closed-source apps, as
if there is any kind of chain of trust in the media center software
stack...

Maybe someday "treacherous computing" could at least give them a fig leaf,
so that they can claim to be surprised that their stream "escaped" after
their magic black box has decrypted it. In the meantime, the irony is they
have virtually nothing to lose.