[mythtv-users] Fast Forward/Rewind Issues

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 19:32:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 Apr 2005 20:13, Robert Johnston wrote:
> > Using XvMC (partially supported by my card) does seem to improve the
> > situation however the OSD causes the image to flicker negating the
> > benefit completely.
>
> The XvMC issue has been reported before. Tried checking driver
> versions, and running top in the background?

Yes. I was running 7167? and am now running 7174 (nvidia drivers) - versions
of the driver prior to that won't compile with my kernel (2.6.11).

Without XvMC CPU usage does run very high at 3x (60 %), but is none-existent
at 5x. It might be that the process is freezing at 5x though, accounting for
the tiny CPU usage. With XvMC CPU usage is at half (30%) at 3x and half again
at 5x (12%).

If the applications running in the background don't account for the issue,
than I am puzzled as I've seen no other complaints about FF/REW performance
even though I know many are running older machines.
--
Stuart Morgan
http://www.tase.co.uk