[mythtv-users] www.d1.com.au

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:21:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 14:04 +0100, Will wrote:
> I think the main reason that people make a point of mentioning it is
> because in a mailing list you don't want a mix of top posters and bottom
> posters within a thread (take this one as an example).

The major problem with top posting, other than it destroying the
ordering of the discussion, is that people that top post almost
invariably post their contribution to the top and leave the whole of the
rest of the message untouched - so in a discussion like this the message
gets to be 1000s of lines long, includes all the history since the
beginning, and have no structure other than archaeological (ie my shit
on top of my ancestor's shit).

Instead you should quote the sections that you are commenting
on/responding to and respond to those in appropriate places - normally
just beneath the point to which you are responding.

This makes each message a well structured discussion point rather than
just a heap.  However it takes longer, and requires more thought - which
tends to make the messages of much higher quality.

Now if you (Dean) can't be arsed to work in this way, then I can't be
arsed to listen.  Fortunately it looks like I will be missing nothing
useful although the self justifying posturing has its amusing sides.

	Nigel.