[mythtv-users] Re: Playback CPU Usage, SDTV, HDTV, Is this right?

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 04:40:37 UTC 2005

Thanks for the responses.

My biggest question is whether or not it is normal for the X process
to be taking 30% processor time and mythfrontend 55% processor time
when performing 720p playback.

I viewed with interest Jarod's posts over the past week or two and it
seems that he's getting solid HDTV (1080i) playback on an XP2600
without XvMC.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/122884?search_string=HDTV%20Playback;#122884

I'm wondering if I have X, myth, or somthing misconfigured.  If Jarod
is right on (usually is), I should be able to playback 720p without
any trouble on an XP2200, no XvMC.

When frontend opens, I see a line like "Using XV on port 108" or
somthing, so I'm assuming that xv is being used.  What else do I
check?

Thanks,
John.

****************************
Orig. Post:

Hey All:

XP2200 with an MX440 (8xAGP, AGPGART), on an nforce2 motherboard.

I'm running atrpms 2.6.10 kernel which has AGPGART built in and I
don't think I can turn it off ?? and use the NvAGP driver. I also
cannot run RenderAccel, it results in a KDE lockup.

I'm having trouble playing back 720p HDTV and need some suggestions:

SDTV, PVR-250 (720x480), using libmpeg2, no XvMC:

mythfrontend --> 16% processor usage
X --> 9.8% processor usage

SDTV, bttv to MPEG4 (720x480), using libmpeg2, no XvMC:

mythbackend --> 62.8% processor usage
mythfrontend --> 16% processor usage
X --> 9.6% processor usage

HDTV --> HD2000, dvb drivers, 720p source, using libmpeg2, no XvMC

mythfrontend --> 55.1% processor usage
X --> 31.5% processor usage
mythbackend --> 8% processor usage

CPU is pegged, and playback stutters.

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO DIAGNOSE / IMPROVE THIS? Should the X processor
usage be so high for the HDTV stream?

Thanks,
John.