[mythtv-users] A Question about CVS Upgrading

SpikeyGG spikeygg at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 04:09:16 UTC 2005

I appologize in advance for this very simple question about CVS...

  I've been using CVS for a little while longer than I've been using Myth, but I still don't know the answer to this...  I fairly regularly run a "cvs update" in the mythtv directory to keep it up to date.  Which one of the following actions (or one not listed) should I be doing for an update?

1. "cvs update", then "./configure", then "make", then "sudo make install" (hopefully overwriting the old stuff)

(or)

2. "make uninstall", then "cvs up", then "./configure", then "make", then "sudo make install" (to "cleanly" upgrade)

Mainly, I'd like to know if doing #1 will screw stuff up, or will it just overwrite the libraries and binaries that I've already got?  I'd like to know this not only for Myth but other programs and code that I use with CVS.

Thanks,
-Greg