[mythtv-users] LVM RAID 5 partition schemes

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Apr 7 02:38:10 UTC 2005

Milan Andric wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm planning on sqeezing as much as I can into a microATX case
>to make my mythtv frontend/backend. I also want to make this
>a media storage box/file server, ie. include a RAID 5 LVM storage setup.
>
>I'm basically stuck on the RAID.  Since I  do not have enough data
>*right now* to use the 3 x 300G RAID 5,  I'd like to just buy two
>drives now and use mdadmin to
>setup a RAID 5 with 2 missing drives and add drives as time goes on.
>
>I know it's required to have 3 drives to make a RAID 5 array.  But is
>there a way to fake so I can add a third drive later?  Or do I just
>have to fork up the cash now?

All of you commenting on RAID5, adding drives later, and raidreconf
might want to take a look at this which looks to support all the schemes
mentioned plus shrinking and growing.  This is intriguing to me as I've
been mirroring my systems rather than RAID5 solely because I can't grow
RAID5 arrays, or so I thought, under Linux

http://evms.sourceforge.net/

Kevin