[mythtv-users] LVM RAID 5 partition schemes

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Wed Apr 6 22:51:22 UTC 2005

> I do mean software raid (md).  Reading the archives I've come to understand
> that hardware (real or fake) raid 5 is a waste of time for most mythtv
> applications.

My personal opinion is that RAID5 _is_ useful, if you consider the
tradeoff of money vs. time.  How long would it take you to re-encode 200
DVD's or 500 CD's?  While not everyone has such a large library of
content, not having to recreate it in case of a disk failure is a big
win for me.

So, it's really a matter of personal choice.  At some point, if you have
enough "stuff", RAID looks more attractive.   Because one day your hard
drive _will_ stop working!