[mythtv-users] Playback CPU Usage, SDTV, HDTV, Is this right?

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Wed Apr 6 22:33:39 UTC 2005

Robert Johnston wrote:

>On Apr 6, 2005 4:02 PM, Kyle Rose <krose+mythtv at krose.org> wrote:
>

>>>I was under the impression that with XvMC accelleration, it is
>>>possible to play back HDTV content on a 2Ghz processor (XP2000+ or
>>>higher)

I can confirm that I'm getting smooth playback using XvMC on an Athlon
XP 1700+ (overclocked to 2000+ speed), on a 4x AGP motherboard (~50% CPU
utilization).  I'm using an FX 6600 GT, but my understanding is that its
extra horsepower isn't used for XvMC, so a GeForce4 MX 440 should
suffice.  One caveat:  I DO see stutter whenever the onscreen display
(OSD) is up.  But as soon as it goes away, so does the stutter.  I
haven't applied the aforementioned XvMC patches; I'm waiting 'til Monday
to get 0.18 (per Isaac's prior post).  Hope this helps.