Small quiet HDTV frontend (was Re: [mythtv-users] kernel 2.6.12 support)

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Apr 6 20:13:19 UTC 2005

On 4/6/2005 3:45 PM, John Patrick Poet wrote:

>Nice!  Any idea what this hardware configuration is going to cost?

Not including the LED board (and LEDs), I've got about $600 in it (not
including shipping and taxes), but I could have cut some corners.  Could
have save about $30 using a regular laptop DVD-ROM instead of slot-load
DVD with CD-RW.  Another $30 going from 1Gig CF to 512M.  Could have
used less memory probably.  The largest expense is the MB at about
$285.  Of course I could have skipped the compact flash entirely and
just went with PXE boot.  Decisions, decisions... ;-)

I thought about selling them, but I doubt enough people would be
interesting in paying what I would need to charge (including labor and
LED board, etc) for just a frontend.  I can get quantity discounts on
the motherboard, but it would require several people to want the same
type of board.  The YPbPr motherboard and the DVI board are different so
I wouldn't be able to combine for quantity.

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (new picture of back, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info