[mythtv-users] Playback CPU Usage, SDTV, HDTV, Is this right?

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 19:57:35 UTC 2005

Hey All:

XP2200 with an MX440 (8xAGP, AGPGART), on an nforce2 motherboard.

I'm running atrpms 2.6.10 kernel which has AGPGART built in and I
don't think I can turn it off ?? and use the NvAGP driver.  I also
cannot run RenderAccel, it results in a KDE lockup.

I'm having trouble playing back 720p HDTV and need some suggestions:

SDTV, PVR-250 (720x480), using libmpeg2, no XvMC:

mythfrontend --> 16% processor usage
X --> 9.8% processor usage

SDTV, bttv to MPEG4 (720x480), using libmpeg2, no XvMC:

mythbackend --> 62.8% processor usage
mythfrontend --> 16% processor usage
X --> 9.6% processor usage

HDTV --> HD2000, dvb drivers, 720p source, using libmpeg2, no XvMC

mythfrontend --> 55.1% processor usage
X --> 31.5% processor usage
mythbackend --> 8% processor usage

CPU is pegged, and playback stutters.

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO DIAGNOSE / IMPROVE THIS?  Should the X processor
usage be so high for the HDTV stream?

Thanks,
John.

John J Freer, P.E.