[mythtv-users] how to upgrade tp 0.17 AND move to a new HW ?

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Wed Apr 6 18:08:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:39:31AM +0200, Uwe Schmidt wrote:
> Actually, I ran a 0.16 with two DVB-S cards mounted in an old 400 MHz PC,
> SuSe 9.1, compiled from source, running as backend only.
>
> everything is working quite well, but I want to move the DVB-S cards to a
> housing where cooling them is possible. For the old Siemens-PC-housing,
> there is no possibiolity to mount any fans in a senseful way therefor.
> and, because of DVB-support improved a lot from 0.16 to 0.17, I also want to
> upgrade.
>
> so, question:
> how to upgrade and move to another HW ?
> - first install the 0.16 on the new HW, install database-backup from old
> box, copy /video to the new one and upgrade to 0.17
> - install 0.17 on the new HW, copy /video and - erm, how to restore
> db-backup ?
> - ??

You should follow your first option above.  The second option you
mentioned is not very feasible... you'll end up reconfiguring
everything.

However, it might be wiser to decide which is more important to you,
changing out the hardware or upgrading.  I would choose one of the two
to do first and then let it sit for at least a week before doing the
other.  That way you can decide if 0.17 broke something for you, or if
the hardware upgrade broke something.

Something to consider is that 0.18 is due out soonish.

> another question:
> if backend is upgraded to 0.17, do I need to upgrade the frontends also ? or
> are the protocols 0.17 / 0.16 compatible ?

Yes, you have to upgrade it all.  0.16 frontends will not talk to 0.17
backends.

> TIA,
>
> Uwe

Aran