[mythtv-users] SPDIF on Turtle Beach Riviera/CMI8738-MC6

Arron King kinga8 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:15:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have been working on my setup for a while now, and the only thing
that has been troublesome has been the sound.  Many thanks to this
list and to Jarod for his guide!

I picked up a TB Riviera card, and can't seem to get the Myth to put
sound out the SPDIF.  I can play sounds/music through the SPDIF  at
the shell (either via aplay or mplayer).

I have been using the Digital Sound HowTo at -
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo.  This document has
been tremedously helpful.    I am acutally using the .asoundrc file
listed on that site.   I believe even though I have different
hardware, that  the SPDIF for the Riviera is on device 2 of card 0
(hw:0,2)

Here is the output of my aplay -l

aplay -l
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

What I am hoping is that someone would either

A) share a .asoundrc file that allows them to use the SPDIF on a
Turtle Beach Riviera (or similar chipset:  C-Media CMI8738-MC6) card.

or

 B) help me understand how to figure out which audio device is the
SPDIF so I can modify the asoundrc I have.

I've been lurking for a few days, searching the archives and google
trying to find out what I am missing.  I've learned a lot - and hope
someone can save me more head trauma  !!

Thanks!

Arron