[mythtv-users] Packard Bell serial IR remote reciever, Jarod's guide

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:07:38 UTC 2005

I related my experiences in another thread, but decided to repeat myself here just to
add a hook for searching the archives, and in case this helps someone else who's
fighting this combination...

This was 3 weeks or so ago. My last install was on FC3 using Jarod's guide, and went
off without a hitch, except for trying to get the PB remote to work. I was not finding
success. It SHOULD have worked, but just didn't... couldn't see why. Running irw
showed no response at all. I shut the computer down and went off to another computer
to send feedback to Jarod and while composing the email, I decided to go back and
look for error messages in the logs so that I could pass this information on to Jarod.

Lo and behold, I restarted the computer, tried the remote and it was working.

Black magic I suppose... the only thing that had happened differently was a shutdown
and restart, but there is no reason that I know of to indicate that that should have been
necessary.

I haven't had a chance to get back to this machine to do the last little bits. All that's left
is mapping the Packard Bell keys to MythTV functions, but I don't anticipate any
problems doing that.

Marvin Match