[mythtv-users] XvMC and OSD

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Tue Apr 5 22:44:50 UTC 2005

I had a similar question:  I'm on an Athlon XP 1700+ (o/c ed to 2000+),
and HD content plays back smoothly (finally) using XvMC, but not Xv.
However, even with XvMC, playback gets jumpy and I see "prebuffering
pause" messages if the OSD is displayed.

Does putting up the OSD force MythTV to revert to doing the composite
via software and using Xv for display?  Or can the video and the OSD be
shipped to the video card using XvMC to be composited and displayed?

Basically I'm wondering if my jumpy playback with OSD CAN be solved in
XvMC or if I need to buy a faster CPU and use Xv to get smooth playback
in all cases.

Any XvMC developers on this list?  If so, kudos to your XvMC
improvements.  I've read stories about people's issues with XvMC, but
I've been using it with a CVS checkout from last week and it's working
GREAT (except the above).  CPU usage on HD hovers around 45-55%.  Woo hoo!