[mythtv-users] Re: Pundit OR Pundit-R ?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:35:54 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 4:29 PM, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I found the answer by myself, in the Intel Celeron & Celeron-D technical
> > >specification. It confirm previous statements by the list contributors
> > >and may be useful to the others:
> >
> > >Celeron Northwood ... thermal power varies .. 52W (2.0GHz)-68W (2.8GHz)
> > >Celeron Prescott ... thermal power fixed at 73W
> >
> > >It looks like Prescotts are all the same inside, just locked
> > differently. Pitty.
> >
> > I'm new to building PC but let me get this straight.
> > I'dbe better off buying a 2.4Ghz Celeron than a 2.8 P4?
> > At least in terms of noise.
> > How does this work in terms of processing power.
> > I'm planning on getting a Pundit-R
> > with 1GB of memory and throwing in
> > both a pchdtv-3000 and an pvr-500.
> > I want to be able to watch/record and maybe even burn
> > a dvd at the same time.
> > I see a 2.4 Celeron going for 98.00 (USD)
> > and a 3.0E Ghz P4 going for 180 (USD) normally my impulse is higher is better.  But if I can get the same amount of work done quieter and cheaper so bet it
>
> Just FYI, you can still get Northwood-core Celeron processors down to
> 1.8 GHz at newegg.com.

OK, sorry I just realized that you are talking about doing HDTV.

In that case, you will likely have to go with the high-end P4. Playing
back HDTV signals takes a lot of processing power. I'd be surprised if
the 2.4 Celeron could handle it. The 1.8 GHz Celeron certainly could
not.

OTOH, if you're not planning to play back HDTV using this box, then
you could easily go for the 1.8 GHz Celeron. And it should be much
quieter than either of the other two options. Recording MPEG streams
from the PVR-500 or the pcHDTV takes minimal processing power. (Just
as a side note, you should be aware, if you aren't already, that the
PVR-500 currently has alpha-quality support in Linux.)

Hope that helps.

Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!