[mythtv-users] HDTV Woes

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Tue Apr 5 17:30:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 02:48:46PM -0500, Donavan Stanley wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 2:10 PM, Tom E. Craddock Jr. <sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
> >
> >  >Mat Kyne wrote:
> > > So my question that I lay before the all-knowing Mythtv guru's is this,
> > > What am I doing wrong. Do I just need a faster processor (I currently
> > > have a 2.4 Ghz Celeron that I bought just for this)? Or are there other
> > > things that I can try first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -Mat
> >
> > Yes, you need a faster processor. A 2.4 celery wont cut it.  I just
> > barely got by with a AMD XP2100+.
>
> ummm no.  My 2.5 celeron does just fine using libmpeg2 for playback,
> and no XvMC enabled.

Libmpeg2 does decode mpeg2 faster than the built in decoder.  There are
also some cons to libmpeg2.  The most noticible is any corruption of
streams, even minor will create large green bars across the screen.  The
built in decoder only gets small blockiness, no green, and barely
noticible.  Libmpeg2 does not produce the same quality of picture.  Motion
smoothness isn't as good either.  For the same reason an athlon 64bit 3400
doesn't produce a more smooth motion than a P4 2.8Ghz, I doubt the
celeron would be as good either, but that may be fine depending on how
important perfection (or as close as can get) is for you.  You also
don't really notice unless you put two systems side by side, so some
people won't care, but let the truth be known.. :)  I would never
recommend anything that you have to reply on libmpeg2 only for decoding,
or XvMC.

--Brandon