[mythtv-users] "Unable to find mythcommflag" in 0.17

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com
Tue Apr 5 16:00:33 UTC 2005

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> This error message means mythbackend can't find mythcommflag, so even
> though mythcommflag is in _your_ PATH, it evidently isn't in the PATH
> of the user running mythbackend or the script that is running
> mythbackend.

No, mythcommflag (in /usr/local/bin) is in root's PATH, and root is
running mythbackend.  I don't see anything in my init.d script for
mythbackend that would change the default root PATH available.

> Search for this error message on the mailing lists and you'll find
> several solutions.

Search where?  I plugged "ERROR: Unable to find mythcommflag" and "to
find mythcommflag" into Google, restricted to gossamer-threads.com and
also unrestricted and didn't find more than a single hit on the dev list
noting some CVS commit or something.  Am I misspelling something?  Am I
searching in the wrong area?

> This has been explained quite a few times on the mailing lists, so
> I'll let you read the explanations when you search for the error
> message above.

Could you give me an idea of when these threads started?

> It was, quite a few times. :)  Previously, the mythcommflag
> executable did not actually get called by mythbackend,
> mythbackend directly ran the commercial flagging code internally.
> This had the negative side-effect that if there were any problems
> in commercial flagging that might cause a segfault, etc. whether
> the issue was in the flagger, player, etc., then the backend would
> go down.  In order to isolate the flagger from mythbackend, after
> the JobQueue was created, I modified the JobQueue to call out to
> mythcommflag rather than running the flagger code inside mythbackend.

Sounds good to me.

> You can either manually delete them or you can take the ?easy? way
> out and go into the JobQueue page in mythfrontend's status screen
> and delete them from there.  Select the item to delete and pick
> Delete from the popup menu.

Oh, I didn't see a way to select those items in the Status screen.  I'll
have to reexamine that.

Thanks for your response, I just hope someone could point me to these
posts that I'm missing.

Thanks,

jl